Team Forums

Team Forums (https://www.chevyteam.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical & Wiring (https://www.chevyteam.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Pertronix or Points-less distributor(s). (https://www.chevyteam.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202)

Screw_driver2001 03-05-2007 09:03 AM

Pertronix or Points-less distributor(s).

Hello ALL,

I believe this to be the correct area for Ignition problems or solutions.
Or should this be placed under Engines?
If not correct then it shall be moved by an Administrator or Moderator, thank you.
I installed the Pertronix Hall Effect parts to my distributor and I've been reading haphazardly about "increased plug gaps can be utilized" with this setup. I also have the 40k volt Flame Thrower Coil which is advertised as a companion option.
Question: How many folk here have this setup and how increased can the gap be?
I'm currently using the factory .035 gap, with aftermarket 8mm "wires".
I've also heard "remove the resistance wire", so w/out an Ohm-meter, which wire is it?
Thank You for ALL replies!!:yes:

136679ss 06-18-2007 10:18 PM

Kind of a late reply here Eric, and I certainly hope you've found the answer by now elsewhere. the plug gaps you should now utillize with a solid state ignition are .045. The resistance wire is hard to miss, it's the one with a cloth spiral bound insulation colored white or often aged brown.

Screw_driver2001 06-27-2007 01:14 PM

The travails of an Elky!!

There are no late replies except of course in Medical practises.:eek:

Thank You 136679SS for your reply.:hurray:

Elky is currently in a shop having some extended fixins: new Axle Bearings, new Diff. oil and GM additive for Posi, new Shocks(supplied), Boiled out Fuel Tank and new lines, new Steering/Suspension components for Front(supplied), new Bearings and components, (probable) new Master cylinder and double bowl with proportioning valve(for better braking and possible Disc upgrade).:bow: to the old/new money pit.
The Motor shall be pulled as well and the Pan removed for Crank Bearings inspections.Might lead to an overall Engine rebuild AGAIN.
The Engine was rebuilt back in '02 however I feel that there may be some internal anomalies because of the "mechanics" (double meaning--the people AND the mechanical structures) then involved. A Newly rebuilt Engine should NOT have any Oil Leaks should it?? The Rear seal still leaks since the "rebuild".
The Plug gaps and the Resister wire will certainly be dealt with when required considering all above.
Labor at $65.00 hour, well, I don hav the tools or the place for the repairs myself, sooooo....

:beers:

Don Maddock 08-01-2007 12:55 PM

Eric, I have a 67 Elco and a 68 Vette, both cars have small oil leaks at the rear mains, I think this is considered normal and is one reason the General went to a one piece rear main in later years. A seam at two places 180 off cant help but have some "seepage".
Don