dying a dash pad - Team Forums
Team Forums
Official Sponsor of Chevy Team     

ChevyTeam.com is the premier Chevrolet All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:27 PM

Default dying a dash pad

My friend gave me a dash pad for my 78 pick up and by some miracle it's in absolutely perfect condition other than it's the wrong color. I've heard of people dying these or painting them. What method and what products do I use? How are the results and life expectancy of the dye job? I need this tan dash pad to be blue if it matters. Thanks.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 12:47 PM

I used OER primer and paint and went from dark brown to light gray. It' been 2 years and it's still holding up. Just follow the directions on the can. You can get it from Classic Industries.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:53 PM

We have done a number of these in the past and the key is being clean. Not sure about a brand these days but we used vinyl products by SEM, most should be good, including the one mentioned above.

You need a vinyl cleaner and brush as these typically got some sort of silicone based sealer applied (think armor all) which will mess up the job.

then use a vinyl prep primer and a matching brand of vinyl dye of your choice (these are also available in spray cans). Test things out on your old dash pad first to get a feel for the application.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the info I'm going to give it a try.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement