427 block - Team Forums
Team Forums
Official Sponsor of Chevy Team     

Corvettes Open discussion

ChevyTeam.com is the premier Chevrolet All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:29 PM

Default 427 block

Hi everyone,

About 20 years ago my grandfather had purchased a 427 block from a guy who had advertised it as a 69 corvette 427. He was skeptical that this was a corvette 427.
engine date stamp:T0409MQ but that is a restamp
vin:19B?383686 this is original vin
block date codes:A189
block casting number:3963512
4 bolt main
4.25" bore
The people at the chevelle tech forum gave me some help, but I would still like some expert opinions.
Trying to figure out if it's a corvette or a copo block.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 06:16 AM

Casting number is a 1969 only block (date code is also cast on the rear shelf of the block). It would have had four bolt mains if it was installed in a Corvette (though the 390 horse two bolt passenger block was also offered with RPO codes of LL, LM, MH, MI few if any chose it).

On the engine ID pad will be the Motor ID that you can read and post. Then it is just a mater of matching the two letter ID stamp to the horsepower and transmission for a Corvette (there are 14 remaining RPO codes and one COPO code which is "MS").

Big Dave
Old 12-04-2008, 07:25 PM

I have a thread in the team chevelle/engine forum if anyone is interested in lending their opinion. Thanks Big Dave. I can't figure out how to post pics/attachmets in this thread, but the ones I have are posted over there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement