350 or 383? - Team Forums
Team Forums
Official Sponsor of Chevy Team     

Engine General Discussion.

ChevyTeam.com is the premier Chevrolet All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:14 PM

Default 350 or 383?

I am currently starting on an engine build for my 78 camaro . i have a 350 4 bolt main and would love to make about 500-600+ hp. My question is...should i stay with the 350 or have it stroked to a 383? either way, a supercharger is in the plans to achieve the hp #s and i am getting it bored 30'over. im trying to figure out cost vs hp gains, is it worth the extra money in terms of hp to get it stroked or would the 350 be just be fine as it is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007, 04:13 PM

David (A.K.A Sass)

The more cubes you have the less boost you will have to run to obtain your goal. Also the more cubes you have the more streetable it will be at those HP levels. The bad side of stroking is increasing piston travel per rev. This is minimized with a good balance job and since you are planning on putting a supercharger on top I bet your planning on a really good balance job. The cost associated is minimal price wise between a good 355 rotating assembly and a good 383 rotating assembly. The biggest thing to consider with that step is were you planning on buying a new crank and rods or use the origionals out of the engine which I would not recommend at those HP levels. So in the end I would say the 383 is a much better choice with the only exception being if you plan on racing in a class that limits cubic inches!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement