LSD vs USLD - Team Forums
Team Forums
Official Sponsor of Chevy Team     

Fuels gas, diesel, propane, E85, alternatives

ChevyTeam.com is the premier Chevrolet All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Site Moderator

Default LSD vs USLD

My 06 Duramax was designed for LSD (low sulpher diesel 500 ppm), but for the last month all I can find is ULSD (ultra low sulpher diesel 15 ppm). What I have noticed using this new formula is a slight drop in power, a drop of about 1.5 mpg and now it has a stronger exhaust odor. Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to go by a truck stop today and see if the higher taxed fuel is still 500 ppm, if it is I think paying the extra $.08 will be worth it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Site Moderator

Default update

On my way back from Mesa last night I stopped at a TA truck center and they still sell the LSD fuel (500PPM) at the regular pumps. I fueled up and checked mileage and it was back up to 18 mpg running 75 MPH. Close to 20 MPG at 65 MPH. At 55 the computer says 22 MPG. This is on level road without stop and go situations. I had to drive to the east side of Tucson today a trip of about 55 miles round trip. It included stop and go driving, running up and down mountains and showing a BMW what a turbo diesel was capable of from a standing start. Overall I got 16.4 MPG. This truck is like having an 4 ton sports car

Old 11-12-2006, 08:33 PM

Not to many diesel powered pickup owners here.
I have an '05 crew cab 2500HD 4x4 with the 5 speed allison, I wish I had the 6 speed though.
I get around 18mpg on the highway at best, I don't see much difference in the fuels (500ppm or the 15ppm).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Site Moderator

The double overdrive sure helps with the mpg. At 80 mph the engine is turning 2000 rpm.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The double overdrive sure helps with the mpg. At 80 mph the engine is turning 2000 rpm.
I'm not sure what mine turns at 80mph but I'm sure it's a lot more that 2000rpm.
But all in all I'm happy with my truck, love the way it pulls
Old 03-03-2007, 11:21 AM

Eric

Question

I'm a long haul Truck Driver (in a '01 FreightLiner Century Class w/ 525 HP Cummins) and all I know is from the few folk that have responded about the performance they received from the ULSD vs. LSD and the reports stating (for ULSD) LESS fuel mileage, LESS power, HOTTER running engines, and other significant differences in these two fuels. Info garnered from LandLine Magazine, The Truckers Report . com, and FreightLiner news.
One can run ULSD in older engines but not LSD in newer engines because this'll destroy components. Add to this the newer engines are not designed to last anywhere near as long as the previous design and we have another problem, plus there is an astounding amount of additional crud (devices) attached to "improve overall performance", whatever that is.

Has anyone here tried the BIO-Diesel and if so how were the effects garnered from this usage??
All I ever notice is the food odors, no significant change in performance.

~Eric G. uv NC~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement