700R4 + Carb - Team Forums
Team Forums
Official Sponsor of Chevy Team     

ChevyTeam.com is the premier Chevrolet All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:10 PM

Question 700R4 + Carb

I've searched this forum and many other forums and even google for days now and haven't found an answer to what I need so I will ask here. I recently had a 350 turbo go out in my 1985 Silverado so I installed a 700R4 mainly because of gas prices. A few years back I done this same thing but a friend of mine hooked up the 700R4 and I never got around to seeing what he done. He took the 4 prong plug used two of the wires from what I remember. He wired one to the brake peddle and the other was just a ground to the side of the tranny. I have no clue how he wired up the plug but it worked perfect for getting my transmission out of over drive when I hit the brakes or slowed down to a certain speed or whatever. He said I needed it in order to allow the transmission to work properly otherwise it wouldn't ever unlock the over drive. I've seen expensive kits on kegs and all that do this same trick for way to much money. Does anyone know what my buddy did in order for this to work?

I also have another question about this transmission. When I am driving it, it shifts perfect into all gears but he won't shift into over drive at all. What do you guys think could be causing this? The kick down cable and all is hooked up. Even if I try to shift manually it won't shift into over drive at all. I had asked a buddy of mine a while back what he thought might be the problem and he said the cap on the side of the tailhousing has a part in there and that could be causing it. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Site Moderator

Welcome to the site. I can not say for sure how to wire your switch up. It probably controled the lock up clutch in the torque convertor. If the TC clutch doesn't disengage when you stop, the engine will stall just like on a manual transmission.

I have a 700R4 in my El Camino. The lock up function is not used and it still gets decent fuel mileage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement