what do you know about the 6.5 turbo diesels? - Team Forums
Team Forums
Official Sponsor of Chevy Team     

ChevyTeam.com is the premier Chevrolet All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:54 PM

Default what do you know about the 6.5 turbo diesels?

I am looking at a few late 90's chevy 3/4 ton trucks that have the 6.5 turbo diesel in them. Anybody have any input on the engine and tranny? Is it allot to maintain? are they reliable? can you get perfomance parts for them pretty easy. I want a diesel but the fords and dodges are apparently worth thier wieght in gold but the older chevy's are fairley reasonable.
I would be using the truck to do some hard towing right off the bat on my move to NJ then it would see life as a part time daily driver and snowrig. (No plowing I hope) I know the truck body and what to expect with that but have never heard good bad or otherwise about the engines. Is this the same engine the military used in the cucv trucks without the turbo?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Site Moderator

The 6.5 is reliable but not up to the power of the Duramax or the cummins and powerstrokes. We have a couple of them in the company fleet and they have done well over the years. The shop foreman has a 96 and he likes it, but has complained about the power when pulling loads thru the mountains. I think you should keep the dually.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The 6.5 is reliable but not up to the power of the Duramax or the cummins and powerstrokes. We have a couple of them in the company fleet and they have done well over the years. The shop foreman has a 96 and he likes it, but has complained about the power when pulling loads thru the mountains. I think you should keep the dually.

I would love to keep the dually but Its to big for where we are going and if my wife needs to get out in the winter when I am not home she wouldnt dare jump behind the wheel of the dually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement